Why the refrigerator makes a lot of noise – you need to check the compressor
The compressor is undoubtedly the main component of any refrigeration unit and is designed to freeze, cool, and circulate freon through the system. Malfunctions in its operation can be the cause of ice or frost in the refrigerator. But like any other device, it can break down.
Let’s consider its possible malfunctions:
1. the compressor is located on the back side in the lower part, under normal conditions it works quietly and is almost inaudible. But it can generate vibration, which is transmitted through the tube to the radiator. This creates a metallic ringing sound. Especially this sound is clearly audible in the silence. You can put any material on the tube that will dampen the vibration. For example, apply heat-insulating material to water supply pipes and fix them with ties, as shown in the photo.
2. humming sounds occur when the compressor is started and turned off, if such sounds are present, this is a normal phenomenon in the operation of the device
3. gurgling sound indicates the residual circulation of the refrigerant after its shutdown.
4. water pan and compressor are too close to each other. If so, it is necessary to increase the distance between them.
5. if you have a two-compressor unit, it usually works much louder than a conventional refrigerator.
6. check whether the compressor is properly fixed to the refrigerator body. Over time, the fastening can become loose. For a more reliable fixation, you can use ordinary plastic ties.
Some reasons why a new refrigerator makes noise
if you have a new refrigerator or you have just purchased it:
1. check if you have removed the shipping bolts. Refer to the instruction manual of your device which will describe this process.
2. make sure that your appliance is level with the floor in all planes. Adjust its feet if necessary.
3. if the unit starts to hum and makes a loud sound, it is possible that it is not connected to water, and the ice maker is turned on. In this case, you can hear the click of the water supply valve to the ice maker and the noise of the finished ice cubes falling from the ice maker to the storage tank.
The fan in the No Frost refrigerator is noisy
There may be several reasons for this and not all of them indicate its failure. If the unit is new and this is your first refrigerator with dry freezing, then it works louder than devices that use drip defrosting. And if you do not hear the grinding, then do not worry.
Otherwise, it is better to call a specialist to diagnose the fault and repair it. A possible reason may be a worn fan, evaporator heater, or ice buildup on which the fan blades and other components cling.
Other reasons why the refrigerator became very noisy:
1. whistling is heard during the operation of the refrigerator fan, which circulates cold air inside the unit – this is normal.
2. sounds that resemble knocking are heard when the internal parts of the refrigerator expand and contract during operation. This happens when the temperature inside the refrigerator changes, for example, after resetting the temperature or opening the door, which is quite a normal physical phenomenon.
3. it is necessary to check the reliability of the shock absorbers.
If they are poorly fixed – tighten the fixing nuts (bolts)
As you can see, not all causes of extraneous sounds indicate a malfunction of the refrigerator and moreover, they are quite normal. Some problems in the work can be eliminated independently without involving qualified masters in the repair. In any case, we advise you to follow the safety and personal protection rules when repairing the refrigerator and any other appliance.
Note that it is not always possible to independently determine why the refrigerator makes a lot of noise. If you could not find the causes of unpleasant sounds and repair your equipment, we advise you to contact specialized services or masters, which you can easily find on our website in the relevant sections.
Whether you can find the breakdown yourself or at some stage of the search call the master – you decide. We only note that in the absence of experience in disassembly and assembly of the refrigerator, it is better to limit yourself to external inspection and search for simple damage, and then call our master. Chula Vista Appliance Repair Company is pleased to offer efficient refrigerator repair services in and around San Diego County. Our team of experts is well-equipped and ready to handle all types of refrigerator repairs, no matter how complex. We strive to provide superior repairs using only the highest quality parts backed by the manufacturer’s warranty, so you can rely on a refrigerator repair technician to fix the problem and keep your refrigerator running properly for a long time.